Tuesday 11 August 2015

Day 150 - Nesuntabunt Mountain

Nesuntabunt Mountain, 35

After a journey of more than 2100 miles, it's hard to believe that a measley 35 miles of hiking separates me and Katahdin. From this mountain where I'm camped, I can see the end! I have a gameplan, I know how many miles to do each day, what I'm doing after summiting, how I'm getting home, it's nuts! The journey is almost over. 
 
The biggest dilemma I'm dealing with is whether to be happy or sad about the hike ending. The truth is, I am both. On the one hand, here's this awesome accomplishment at my fingertips that I've worked so hard for. How could I not be psyched out of my mind?! Plus I'll get to return to my friends and family, and start yet another chapter of my life, in which I tackle a 5-class workload and the LEEP project in my senior year. It's going to be tough, but I'm very excited.

Yet something is making me feel a bit sad, too. It's the end. A few nights ago I sat at the edge of a deserted lake, alone, just watching and listening to the forest. When's the next time I'll be able to do that? In some ways, it feels like I'm about to witness the death of good old Scribbles as I return to being Ted. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course. I can't stay out here forever! 
 
So here I go again. The plan is to summit Katahdin with a bunch of trail friends on Thursday, then on Friday I return home and revert back to a completely new way of living!

-Scribbles (aka Ted)
8:36 a.m. 8/11/2015

1 comment: