Monday 6 April 2015

Day 24 - Hot Springs

Hello! I am in Hot Springs North Carolina today, and enjoying every bit of it. Last night I hiked everything but the last quarter mile or so before the town, and camped within seeing, hearing, and probably throwing distance of the first house. I also was gifted the best trail magic so far. I had (and have) zero service here in town, and yesterday being Easter, I was pretty bummed out that I would not even be able to say hello to my family. My mom had told me that my grandmother, in particular, had been worried. Luckily, I crossed trails with Jolly Roger, who let me use his cell phone (Verizon, duh) and talk with my grandparents at the Easter celebration back in Newington Connecticut. Thank you very, very much Jolly Roger, and my grandmother thanks you too!


Last night I slept great, even with the sounds of cars and trains passing by not too far. And today has been another busy one. Hot Springs is the first true "Trail town." No need to hitch a ride here; the AT follows right down Bridge Street, the town's main drag. Even though it is a town of less than 1,000, there are thru-hikers everywhere and whereverI go I see familiar faces. Some friends I haven't seen since Georgia are here, including Seinfeld and Solo. Tonight will be glorious; I am sleeping in a bed! I got a room at Elmer's Sunnybank Inn, a historic building that has been an inn since 1947. My room is the exact same room that EARL SHAFFER slept in in 1948!!! In case you did not know, his 1948 stay was part of the first ever thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. History! I also showered for the second time since I started, and did laundry for the first.


I spent much of the morning at the Hiker Ridge Ministries, a wonderful little building where you can converse with other hikers and get your picture taken. Look them up on facebook! Queen Diva, the woman who was running it when I arrived, cooked up some of the best banana muffins I've ever had. Which, speaking of...


Man oh man, did I have some hiker hunger when I got here! For breakfast, three scrambled eggs with spinach, hash browns, bacon, wheat toast and two pancakes. For lunch, the BBQ special at the local Mexican-American restaurant, complete with sauteed vegetables, refried beans, rice and toast. Next up is dinner. I had planned to eat at Elmer's, which offers organic vegeterian breakfasts and dinners to guests, but due to a busy day at the inn (a tree is being cut down), Elmer does not have time to cook. I think I will get breakfast there tomorrow instead. For dinner, a local tavern offers an 18oz. burger. Sounds good to me! There is also a place at the edge of town that sells a 3/4 pound burger with grilled cheeses for buns. That might be lunch tomorrow before I set out again. Its been a simply great day.


Unfortunately, the computer I am uploading my photos through is a bit slower than the last one. I apologize, but I will not be able to share every picture I've taken in the past week and a half, only a select few. After today, I am off to the tail end of North Carolina. My next resupply is in Erwin, Tennessee, and then Hampton, TN, and then Virginia! I find it difficult to believe that when I send my bounce-box to its next location tomorrow, I'll be writing "VA" on the label. I'm only about two weeks away from the unofficial quarter-done mark of the hike. Wow.


One last thing; I bought a newspaper today and BIG shout out to the Wisconsin basketball team for knocking off Kentucky!!! Now just beat Duke and you will become my second favorite team! It is so weird this year not watching ANY college ball. Usually, and my friends will attest to this, that is what I do all March. Tonight I think I will go to the local tavern, maybe buy my first drink as a 21 year old, and watch Wisky beat Duke. Go Badgers!

- Ted
5:38 p.m. 4/6/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment