Thursday 16 April 2015

Day 34 - We're Back!

The last time I updated I was at Beauty Spot, and 50+ miles and a few rainy, cold days later, I can update y'all again! A whole lot has happened recently, I don't know where to start...

I woke up at Beauty Spot and it was all clouds and wind, no sunrise.

But, there's something about that kind of weather that makes the hiking easy, and before too long I had gone 14 miles.

I decided to eat an early dinner of spaghetti and cheese, and that extra energy pushed me all the way to the 20 mile mark for the first time! Some people do their first 20 out of the Smokies, some into town to sleep in a bed. Not me, boy. My first one had to be to a windy campsite halfway up Roan Mountain!


I kind of regret that 20. Near the top, I could sense that rain was approaching, it was late, and it was windy and foggy. For whatever reason though, I was still going. Before I reached camp, at a particularly cold rock outcropping, my mind was just messing with me. "This is so hard," I was thinking, "How are you going to do this for another 4 months!?" Thoughts of Maine popped into my head. It was scary, terrifying. That's not the way to hike the Appalachian Trail.

That night it poured and winded like you wouldn't believe. The rain came right up under my tarp and by the morning I was completely soaked. Everything, the hammock, my sleeping bag, my clothes. Not good. The only thing I had going for me was that in doing a 20 miler day the day before, I could afford a short one.

I decided to make it a 9 to Overmountain Shelter. This must have been the hardest day. On the way up Roan Mountain, it poured and I got soaked, then on the way down, the rain let up but I was walking through about an inch and a half of water. Then I hit the Roan Highlands, where the wind just blasted me with more rain. The shelter couldn't have come soon enough!

Things got better from there, however. 
 
 
Overmountain Shelter is an old barn, converted for hiker use. When I got there, the sun came out just enough to see a magnificent view of the valley and for my stuff to dry. How lucky is that? I ended up getting a good nights sleep as the rain pounded on the roof. Nice and dry.


OK, then yesterday. Another tough one that turned out well. So well, I believe it may have been one of my best on the trail.


It certainly was a day of highs and lows. The day started slowly, since it was monsooning outside. I ate a hot breakfast of more spaghetti and got everything packed and it was on. Me vs. The Rain. It's much easier to hike in the rain when you know you're stuff is safe and dry in your pack. But dang, yesterday started rough.

I went over two mountains, Little Hump and Big Hump. They are both 5000+ feet, and completely exposed balds. No trees, just grass. The trail goes straight over them, and it became Me vs. Rain & Mud. Plus it was super super windy, so it was Me vs. Rain, Wind, & Mud. I resorted to singing to get me over these mountains in the elements. I was just belting every song I could think of! I finally got over the mountains and into the cover of trees, but the trouble wasn't over yet.


Just as I was about to leave North Carolina for good, she gave me a parting gift of a slip, fall, and bruised shin on some rocks. Good riddance North Carolina!

But then the day got better.

I'm in Tennessee now, and I warmed right up once I got to camp. The rain let up, and today I woke up and the sun was out! I'm dry, and tonight I'm headed to the Kincora Hiking Hostel for a shower and a resupply in Hampton. Damascus is only 3 days away! The last few days were tough, but looky here, I got through 'em and I'm not too worse for wear.



-Ted
2:00 pm 4/16/2015

Day 31 4/13 Photos Here!
&
Day 32 4/14 Photos Here!
&
Day 33 4/15 Photos Here!
&
Day 34 4/16 Photos Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment