Friday 17 April 2015

Day 35 - Kincora in Tennessee

Last night was a good one at Kincora.
Bob Peoples, the longtime owner, is an amazing guy. I have to agree with what I was told, that he's the "heart of the AT." Here's a guy that runs a hostel, with bunk space for plenty, laundry, showers, everything. He'll drive you into town, to a doctor, whatever you need. He is very active in trailwork with Tennessee-Eastman, and each year runs the "Hardcore Work Weekend," where he brings thru-hikers to work on the trail and feeds them for the the weekend. He told me that this year the crew would be completing all of the work necessary in the Tennessee region. It was a 20 year plan, but is done in 15. On top of all that, what is most amazing is that Bob expects nothing in return for all of his service. He has a donation box, which visitors are more than happy to contribute to, but that's it. He referred to the whole thing as "a hobby." Its inspiring!
Anyway Bob is a very interesting fellow, and not only that, he's a Bay-stater! He's originally from Medford, and his wife (who has since passed) was born in Worcester. When I told Bob that I was also from Worcester, he told me that it must be true since I can pronounce it.
My stay at Kincora was well worth it. Now I get to enjoy all the trailwork done by Bob and his crews over the years as I finish up Tennessee!

-Ted
12:18 pm 4/17/2015

Moving right along the trail here.

I made it to the Big Laurel Wilderness in Cherokee National Forest today, at just about mile 437. A few things of note... 
I saw a giant snake today, the first one I've seen yet. This thing was about 4.5 feet long, and at it's middle probably a golf ball in diameter! It was black with a white underside. Anyone know the species?

I also saw a similarly extraordinary waterfall today; Laurel Falls. It was huge! It's still only the second best waterfall I've ever seen after Mill Pond Falls, although it's kind of unfair to compare it to the USA's smallest natural waterfall.

Anyway, what was really neat was that the trail snaked right next to the river it was part of. At one point I had a rushing river to my left, a wall of rock to my right, and only about 18 inches of trail to walk on in between. And speaking of, the river was a great medium to see the work of Bob Peoples in the form of three wooden bridges complete with masoned stone trestles.

But what really stuck out about today was its summer-ness. It must have been all that rain that drenched me three days ago. Everything seemed green today, it was warm, and in the first half of the day I was graced with the sound of a far off lawn-mower. Seriously though, I've noticed more and more wildflowers, green underbrush, and now even buds on the trees. Spring is certainly in the air, and summer not too far off!

-Ted
6:51 pm 4/17/2015

More Photos from 4/17 Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment