Thursday 9 April 2015

Day 27 - Flint Mountain

Today was a John Lennon kind of day. I woke up with "Strawberry Fields" in my head for no apparent reason, and now I'm at camp humming "Watching the Wheels," which I suppose is a more fitting song for the trip. In all I covered another 18 miles. I'm feeling great, and the weather really cooperated today. Even though there were no amazing views or interesting bits of terrain, today was just solid. There were some giant oak trees as I went over Flint Mountain, as big as the trees I saw in the Smokies. It would probably take three people to hug the circumference of some of them!

There was also a point today when I could have sworn the wind was turning the leaves at my feet since they were rustling. But there was no wind! When I stopped, I realized that the sound was coming from thousands of little baby crickets, who were understandably scared out of their wits and hopping all around me. 
Let's see, I also happened upon some trail magic from Paul near the end of the day. Paul thru-hiked in 2007 and he was serving up scrambled eggs and hash-browns out the back of his pickup truck. Very good! Probably the most interesting point of the day is that, besides Paul, I saw and talked to exactly ONE other person. Weird. My friend Corey wonders if I'm going crazy...I hope not!

-Ted
6:52 p.m. 4/9/2015





Day 27 04/09 Photos Here!

1 comment: