Saturday 25 April 2015

Day 43 - Blunders & Bear

Now I'm eating lunch in Groseclose Virginia at The Barn. Sitting near me is John Ellison, the writer of "Some Kind of Wonderful". How cool is that!? 

Last night was crazy! But first allow me to fill you in on my latest blunders...I think I've been getting a little too comfortable with the hiking life. It's making me careless! Y'all remember I lost a tent stake. Well, I followed that up with my spork and now, my crocs! The spork is a mystery. It has disappeared into oblivion. The crocs, I knew right where I had left them as soon as I realized they were missing. At the shower of Partnership Shelter. Oh well. After completing the trifecta of losing things, I think I am back down to earth. No more carelessness! It sure is humbling. 
Now, last night! It was exciting for sure. I woke up at about 1:30 and I heard what sounded like footsteps down the hill. Crunching leaves and snapping sticks. The trail wasn't down the hill, though, it was up the hill. And who would be bushwacking at 1:30? So I sat up, realizing that what I heard must be an animal. The steps were getting closer. They were heavy; whatever was making them was at least human sized. A bear! I was a bit frightened, so I turned on my headlamp and pointed it in the direction of the sound. All I saw was trees, but amongst the trees were two little dots of light. The bears eyes were reflecting the light. I couldn't see the bear, but he must have been 30 yards away or so. After about 10 minutes of watching the eyes move about, I dropped the headlamp, clapped my hands and let out a "whoop!" Then the bear ran away! Man, it was exciting and scary too.

-Ted
12:34 p.m. 4/25/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment