Monday 27 April 2015

Day 44 - Chestnut Knob and Trail Magic

I want to say that the last few days have been good, but that's getting repetitive by now. The last few days have been average! 
A few nights ago it just about rained buckets on me, and the thunder was so loud it woke me up once. But I stayed dry, so it's safe to say I'm getting better at setting up the hammock since Roan. Then yesterday was a cloudy, cold, and windy march through some pretty nondescript terrain. The one big mountain, Chestnut Knob, might have been pretty if not for the fog that didn't let me see more than 100 feet ahead of me! The weather must have motivated me or something, because I pushed out about 21 miles. 
Now today I'm moving on. This morning I got picked up by the fine folks at the New Hope Union Church in Bastian Virginia. They serve breakfast to hikers every Monday. I had no idea, it was completely random! And it was good too. My favorite was the homefries casserole, which is homefries topped with cream of chicken soup, cheese, and corn flakes, put in the oven. Man I just about ate the whole casserole tin! 
Patrick, the guy who picked me up and dropped me off, told me that he liked that the magic was not well known, despite its organization. It certainly adds to the value when you don't know anything about it beforehand! 
I feel like I could hike a marathon right now.

Scribbles (aka Ted)
2:27 p.m. 4/27/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment