Saturday 4 July 2015

Day 112 - Killington Mountain

Alright, where to start? It's been a super fun, tiring, and above all busy two days! It all started a half mile before Manchester, where I set camp up as the last rain fell on Thursday night. Since then, the weather has been perfect.
On Friday I went into Manchester planning to quickly resupply, as well as get my new gear and shoes, and then head back out and camp on Bromley Mountain. Well, I was just getting ready to hitch back out of town when my Mom called me and, guess what?! She was coming to visit! It ended up being an awesome evening with Mom. We got a room at the Palmer House, which has croquet and a jacuzzi! I ended my day having hiked a half mile.
The next day we dropped off her bike at Mad Tom Notch and hiked 5.5 miles over Bromley. Part of the climb was up a sunny ski slope, covered in wildflowers. It was a great view, and even better with all the snacks we brought up. And here's where it really gets good. Because of my slowed pace over the last month, I have drifted all the way back to my friends from Virginia and earlier. They all showed up at Bromley. Cliffhanger, Ox, Hot Pants, Forrest, and Tate of course. It's been a while since I've seen these guys.
Me and Mom hiked down to the bike, and it was goodbye again. Man, though, did I love the suprise meet-up! After she left, I hiked with Ox, Cliffhanger and Hot Pants for the rest of the day. We hiked 16 more miles from 2 to 8 pm, and ended the day with bratwursts over the fire. Not bad!
So that was yesterday. Today has been more miles. I hiked another 24 and ended Independence Day at Killington Mountain, 4200 feet tall. The day was punctuated of course by Killington, but also the Whistle Stop, a restaurant where we spent 2.5 hours eating and playing cards. I finally had to remove myself from the game and get back on the trail, or else I still might be there!

There was also some super steep terrain towards the end of the day. The climb out of Clarendon Gorge was intense, and made worse by the burger in my belly. And then of course Killington had its vertical points.

But right now hiking feels good. And the company is great. I'm in the biggest bubble I've been in since Delaware Water Gap, with a good 15 thru-hikers here at the Killington Shelter. We watched fireworks for much of the night from all over, every direction. Enjoying moments like this in a group makes it just a little better. Tomorrow I'll do my last Vermont resupply. Hanover is only 2 days away!

Oh, and a sidenote. This update comes from a tent! First time in a tent for me on the AT. I was going to cowboy camp at the peak of Killington, but then it started drizzling. Thank goodness I have a buddy like Tate, who has a two person tent and is willing to share. Here's to a dry rest of the night!

-Scribbles (AKA Ted)
10:44 p.m. 7/4/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment