Wednesday 1 July 2015

Day 109 - Stratton Mountain

There's an old folk tune who's chorus goes "Oh, the dreadful wind and rain." I think Jerry Garcia does a version. Anyway, all I can say is whoever wrote it would have loved to hike with me today! The wind and rain were in full effect. 
I summitted Stratton Mountain in the morning, after waiting out a thunderstorm in my hammock. Luckily, the rain was not too bad up there. But there was no view. Stratton Mountain is where James Taylor had the idea to build the Long Trail more than a hundred years ago. Then, it is where Benton McKaye had the idea for what became the Appalachian Trail. Pretty cool if you ask me! The only idea I had at Stratton, however, was to knock out miles and get warm and dry again. 
The day proceeded with periods of sun, followed by thunderstorms and heavy rain, followed by drizzle, clouds, and back to sun. It was weird. And of course, I was in the midst of a thunderstorm when I set up camp.\ 
But rain today doesn't bother me, you know why? The weather reports I've heard say blue skies and sun for the next week. That's enough time to get to New Hampshire! 
Tomorrow I'll do a short day, only into and out of the town of Manchester for resupply. I also have to hit up the outfitter where my third and final pair of shoes is waiting. And, as of two days ago, I have a broken water bladder and trekking pole that need to be replaced. I'm ready to be on two poles again, it really makes a difference!

-Scribbles (aka Ted)
8:22 p.m. 7/1/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment