Monday 6 July 2015

Day 113 - The Lookout

Today has been amazing. It started at Killington, watching a cloud whiteout turn into an incredible view. And it ended here, 24 miles later at a platform atop a cabin called "The Lookout".

Sleeping in the tent was great, and it was worth it. There wasn't any view from Killington at first, all clouds. But me and Tate waited and ate breakfast and the cloud disappeared around 8:30. Literally in a second it went from whiteout to view. We didn't start hiking until 9 and made it to town at 1. Tate had some packages so we split there. At Killington town, the Long Trail splits from the AT and goes north toward Mount Mansfield, while the AT goes east toward the Whites. I have to say I quite enjoyed my 100 mile foray into the Long Trail, as wet and muddy as it was!

Despite having already done 10 miles into Killington, that was where my day really began. I got into serious hiking mode, going 15 miles in 5 hours! My destination was here, The Lookout. I had heard it was a great view, and figured I'd shoot for sunset. I got here at 7:30 and have the place all to myself! Basically, it's a mountain with a cabin on top. There's not much of a view from the ground, but the cabin has a platform on top of it that allows you to see for miles. Being alone here tonight, I've decided to put last night behind me and try another cowboy camp up here.

But let me describe the view. To the northwest is the Green Mountains that the AT misses, including Mount Mansfield, Vermont's highest point. To the southwest is Killington Mountain, where I started today. Amazingly, I have never ended a day with a view of where I started the day. The result is breathtaking. Killington is waaaaay far away. I can hardly discern the radio towers on top of it! It's hard to believe I was right near those towers this morning.

But what's really great about this view is to the east. There, way out on the horizon, is a dark squiggle through the sky that outlines the peaks of the furthest mountain range: the Whites. I am so excited to finally have them looming before me. It'll take a few days, but I'm almost there. I can see them!

Anyway, the 25 miler was totally worth it. After being in a big ole hiker bubble yesterday, I'm on my own again. And tonight I can see stars. No rain this time!

-Scribbles (aka Ted)
10:00 p.m. 7/5/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment