Monday 6 July 2015

Day 114 - West Hartford

This will be my last post from the state of Vermont. What a week and change it's been here. I really enjoyed the Green Mountains. The climbs, views, and most of all the people have been awesome. Today was a great example of all that.

I woke up with the view. Sleeping atop the Lookout was fricken incredible. The stars and moon were out, it was nice and cool, and the sunrise had me up at 4:30 this morning. The Whites were much more recognizeable against the rising sun. Then, once it was up, I was looking down into cloud-filled valleys.

Next were the climbs. Per usual, today had tons of ups and downs. Perhaps it's because it was hot, or perhaps it's because I've done like three straight half-Juricks, but I got tired really fast. No big climbs, but a lot of little steep ones. Reminiscent of New York. I did 19 miles today but I swear it felt more like 30.

And finally, the people. Like I said, I was dog tired 19 miles in, and luckily enough for me, 19 miles put me in the town of West Hartford, Vermont. West Hartford is the home of Randy, trail angel extraoridinaire. I got into town (which consists of about a half a dozen houses along a stretch of Route 14), and there he was, ringing a bell and yelling at me to come on over. I did, and man am I glad!

Randy totally hooked me up. Chicken and pasta salad, cold sodas and beer, a bed to sleep on, and most importantly great company. This isn't a hostel, but that's what Randy says he's working toward. In the meantime, it's just a totally dope and completely unadvertised place to hang out! I spent all evening talking with Randy and a fellow thru-hiker Joe, as well as the various local friends and family who have come to visit. This place was the perfect pick-me-up after a day that left my legs tired and my feet sore.

I only have about 10 miles left in the Green Mountain State, and I promise you they will not be easy. I just want to hang out here! But it's onward, New Hampshire awaits!

- Scribbles (aka Ted)
10:20 p.m. 7/6/2025

1 comment:

  1. great post man and you are doing really a great job if you feel bore when you are traveling then watch the movies online just click on the link Free Upcoming Hollywood Movies Online

    ReplyDelete