Sunday 29 March 2015

Day 15 - Nantahala Gorge

I think I may have taken a wrong turn, because these past few days I think I've been hiking in New England! 

Yesterday's descent into the Nantahala Gorge had terrain that was very reminiscent of home. Combined with the brisk air and blue sky, the sloping terrain covered with red pine needles from the trees around me had me thinking about McLean Game Refuge in Granby, Connecticut, a favorite hiking spot. And then, when I reached the gorge, the narrow road, sandwiched by a river and two high walls of somewhat vegetated rock, had me thinking about Tariffville, CT. The only thing different was that instead of houses and an old textile mill, there was the Nantahala Outdoor Center, a hiking and whitewater rafting facility. I camped just beyond the NOC, opting to stay low because of the cold forecast. It did get pretty cold, and in fact it may get colder tonight. The forecast for nearby Robbinsville is 25 degrees, which means it will be about 20 here in Stecoah Gap, where I'm camping. I'll be using every degree my bag is rated to!

Anyway, when I woke up this morning, I knew I had gotten off the trail and was not in North Carolina anymore...THERE WAS SNOW! It was only a dusting at my campsite, but as I climbed out of the gorge it got deeper. Near the top of Cheoah Bald, which is about 5000 feet, there had to be about 4 inches! I must say, it made for a very pretty hike. However, I hope that that's it for snow on this hike, I'd like to leave New England and get back to North Carolina!

- Ted
9:15 pm 3/28/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment