Sunday 29 March 2015

Day 16 - Fontana Dam

I made it! 
Fontana Dam, located at the foot of the Smokies. 
After shaking the ice off my Thermarest and coming to terms with the fact that my Camelback would not be thawing out any time soon, I left camp wearing every single layer I had. 
Last night, from what I've heard, there was a new record for low temperature in the area, at 16 degrees! I sure hope that's the coldest it gets. 
Here in Fontana, though, that may as well have been yesterday. The shelter I'm staying at, nicknamed the "Fontana Hilton," has bathrooms AND hot showers! Needless to say, I sure enjoyed my first shower in two weeks. Another hiker said I was "the guy who will finish the trail on a budget of $1,999. 
Anyway, the nearby village has my first maildrop and bounce-box. I'll be getting 5 maildrops in strategic locations along the way, mostly in places where the food options are thin. The bounce-box has general supplies I will need along the way, such as duct tape and mini Gold Bond bottles. More importantly, it has my camera charger (which I don't need just yet) and the other 100 some-odd pages of my guidebook. I will get the things I need and send it ahead to Hot Springs, my next bounce-box location, tomorrow. 
I'll also be entering Great Smoky Mountains NP tomorrow, which includes Clingman's Dome, the highest point on the East Coast. I hope it warms up!

- Ted
6:24pm 3/29/2015

3 comments:

  1. Love the updates! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey its brendan and les at mill pond pool. Have fun. Breaktime

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you showered. I could smell you from New England.

    ReplyDelete