Tuesday 31 March 2015

Day 17 - Smoky Mountain National Park

Yesterday I left Fontana Dam, and I gotta say it felt like a page in my journey had been turned. 
Amazingly, it's been 18 days since I bid adieu to my old New England home and started this hike. Since then, a whole heck of a lot has happened. I suppose a 2-weekish update is in order. Let's see... 
As of Fontana, I've gone about 166 miles, plus the 8.8 mile approach trail. To be sure, that's a lot. But surprisingly, I still have more than 2000 to go. My pace has been about 12 miles per day, but that will increase to 15 by the time I finish. I've summited God knows how many mountains. I've been up above 5500 feet on Standing Indian. I've gone straight down and straight up, following some seriously steep trail. I've spent 1 night on the bus, 1 night in a bed (at the Hiker Hostel), 3 nights in a shelter (including a recent one at Fontana), and the rest in my hammock. I made it through one whole state and am about halfway through another. I've been through the Chattahoochee and Nantahala National Forests. I've met some people who are becoming good friends, some people who I've made a note to avoid, some people like me, some different, and some with absolutely intriguing, inspiring, or heart-wrenching stories. I've taken 2 showers (one at HH and another in Fontana), and done laundry 0 times (not including when I washed my socks and underwear in a stream near Hiawassee). My pack has lost weight, and I'm sure I have too. Oh yeah, I've slammed some pizzas and grinders. 
And I'm sure it will only get worse. My hiker legs are still developing, but I think that they're almost there. I've gained a good sense for the gear I have. My hammock has worked great, the 5-liter water capability not so much. I've had to adapt to carrying everything on my back. I've also gone from adrenaline to homesickness to, now, anticipation. I am so pumped for the next page. The Smokies! I'm writing this from a bed of oat grass, looking south toward Fontana. It's gorgeous! Oh, and one more thing. I've gained all you wonderful people as readers, people who are interested in this life-changing journey. Thank you for reading and rooting me on! Time for chapter two.

- Ted
2:30 pm 3/31/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment