Friday 13 March 2015

T-Minus 1 Day!

All this time and nothing to do with it, except rest. Tonight I am lucky enough to call the Hiker Hostel home. It's a 26 bed wood-heated building on the side of a mountain in Dahlonega, complete with a super friendly staff and two big, 10 year old dogs. I am sharing the place with a few folks in town for an ultra-marathon, a couple who just finished a section hike of Georgia, and about a dozen other thru-hikers, including my first AT friend Meghan! Meghan is only a year ahead of me. Amazingly, she too is taking a semester off of college to hike the trail! And I thought I was the only one... Like me, she needed a break from school, and she'll be connecting her experience to her studies in psychology through Hike for Mental Health, an organization that raises money for mental health research. Meghan and I have found a lot in common, including our nervousness for the Smokies and our dislike of talking about gear! It was very nice to have nothing to do today. What a change from the last few months! After spending last night in a cramped bus, I will sleep good tonight. Tomorrow's the big day!
- Ted
7:20pm 3/13/2015


No comments:

Post a Comment