Sunday 10 May 2015

Day 57 - Bluff Mountain

It may not be summer yet, not officially for another month and a half, but it sure does feel it! Yesterday in Glasgow was 85 from what I heard. I also did some summery activities. Namely, swimming and sweating.
Swimming was more fun. Me and some other hikers backtracked to the James River footbridge to be refreshed before setting out again. I estimate the bridge was a good 35 feet above the water; plenty to get your heart racing before the plunge! We all jumped in, and man it felt great. The water was so warm I decided to swim back across the wide, calm river instead of taking the bridge. And then me and Tate hung out at the bridge for another hour, mostly skipping stones. It reminded me so much of lazy summer days at the Farmington River in Connecticut. I didn't want to leave.
But alas we did, and walked about 2 miles to the first shelter out of town. Well, here's where the sweating happened. At the shelter, I reached in my pocket and realized I was short one guidebook. D'oh! Unlike the crocs, I decided my guidebook was worth the backtrack. So, with the 85 degree sun blaring, it was back to the bridge! Hiking is more of a muscle-building activity than a cardio one, so I shouldn't have been too surprised that I was sucking wind during the whole jog there and back. I was pooped though! It wound up being a 45 minute run, not bad for 4 miles on an up-and-down trail! Don't get me wrong, however: I was drenched in sweat. 20 miles is the goal today, and with the early start I got I'll be able to take it nice and easy. And yes, I called my mom for Mother's Day!

-Scribbles (aka Ted)
9:38 a.m. 5/10/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment