Thursday 14 May 2015

Day 61 - Shenandoah

Shenandoah here I am! It usually seems like the first day out of town is the toughest. Uphill, heavy pack, and remember "town fever?" Well, none of that today! Waynesboro was a great trail town, but I'm excited to hike now. It's Shenandoah! The next 4-5 days are sure to be breathtaking and easy on the feet. While there are some steep parts here, there are hardly any annoying roots or rocks that I have a tendency to accidentally punt.

I took a lazy day with Tate today after we had a late night watching the Rangers get the job done (woohoo!). I only did 8 miles, but it was well worth it. It was a late morning, and any kind of productive activity was further delayed by frisbee throwing and a makeshift game of stickball using my balled-up pack cover for a ball. But eventually I made important stops at the grocery store, post office, outfitter, and local hot dog joint before hitting the trail late this afternoon (by the way, the best hot dog toppings? Spicy mustard, chopped onions, and relish. Yum!).

At the outfitter, I got to meet Paul, a Marine who is super interested in all things Appalachian Trail. He's done sections and is an avid hiker, and is definitely a future thru-hiker. And boy, he had some questions for me! I was happy to answer, and it was pretty cool. I felt like some wilderness expert talking about angel hair pasta and Sawyer water filters and liner socks! Funny.Anyway, I've got some mighty pretty country ahead of me.

And with my new shoes, lack of town fever, and expert knowledge (yeah right!), I think I'll be making the most of it!

- Scribbles (aka Ted)
10:09 p.m. 5/14/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment