Sunday 24 May 2015

Day 70 - Harper's Ferry

Harper's Ferry WV

A new state, finally! There's something to be said for reaching a new state. A certain feeling of accomplishment, mental no doubt. I remember feeling awesome when I completed Georgia, even though it was only about 80 miles! Virginia has been a little more of a challenge. About 450 miles more! I've been in the Old Dominion for one month and 4 days. And finally I'm out!


I spent most of today in Harper's Ferry, a tiny little village that is dominated by a National Historic Park. All of the lower town is old brick and wood buildings. I'd say most were built in the early to mid 19th century. And of course, there's the Armory, where John Brown unsuccessfully tried to arm slaves and incite a rebellion. Fun fact: I'm distantly related to John Brown, who was originally from Torrington CT! So it was very nice to visit the location that made him infamous.


The town is packed with history, and with today being Memorial Day, tourists! It's been a while since I've been surrounded by so many cars, bikes, and people. I started the day at the ATC Headquarters, where I got my picture taken and signed the logbook. The pictures and names of thousands of hikers are preserved in an archive going all the way back to the early 90s!


Now it's off to Maryland, which is a hop and a skip across the Potomac River. The states are sure flying by now!

-Scribbles (aka Ted)
3:36 p.m. 5/23/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment