Wednesday 27 May 2015

Day 74 -Tagg Run Shelter

Pennsylvania, man. 

Everyone gives it a hard time. 

Rocky, hot, ticky, boring. But it's not bad at all. In fact, I like it!

The terrain, so far so good. Sure, you hit some sections of slow going, but you also hit a lot of wide, flat, smooth tread a la Shenandoah. Ticks, I haven't found one on me since Virginia! And boring, well, I'll write that off in the next paragraph. So really a pretty awesome state so far. To be fair however, I'm not yet at the rockiest part, which I hear is after Port Clinton. The heat and ticks might ramp up too. Whatever, I'm just going to enjoy this while it lasts!

So why isn't Pennsylvania boring? Well, there's always stuff to see and things to do! I've been hitting cool state parks every day. It's interesting to share these parks with dog-walkers and picnicers. Yesterday I stopped into Caledonia State Park and today it was Pine Grove Furnace. And of course there's the Half-Gallon Challenge.A half gallon of ice cream...in one sitting! It's something I've never done before and will never do again. But on the trail, all bets are off. It wasn't even much of a challenge. I did it in 35 minutes. Little traditions like that are one of the things that make the trail such a unique experience.

The fun will only continue the next few days. Tomorrow I'll reach Boiling Springs, just in time to watch the Rangers duke it out with the Lightning in another game 7. And then it's only 25 miles through the Cumberland Valley to Duncannon. 

Oh and I almost forgot! Today I reached the midpoint, 1094 miles from Springer and the same distance to Katahdin. So I'm finally closer to my endpoint than my starting point. Woo hoo!

-Scribbles (aka Ted)
7:52 p.m. 5/27/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment