Saturday 30 May 2015

Day 77 - Peter's Mountain

The good news is that it's cooled off! The bad news (but not even that bad) is that with the cold(ish) front came rain. Much of my hike out of Duncannon today was in a windy drizzle, but I'm not complaining. I made it ten miles out after a late start, and I'm camped on Peters Mountain, near an outcropping called Table Rock.

I left Duncannon feeling great. Sure, my team didn't win last night, but you know, I got to spend time with some real nice folks. I can't say enough about Duncannon and the Doyle, in all their gritty, dirty glory. The hike out was cool, as I got to cross another major river, this time the Susquehenna.

It's amazing how I've been able to witness the changes in the landscapes over time. Back in North Carolina, a "mountain" was a steep, irregular shaped landmass rising three or four thousand feet. Now, in Pennsylvania, Peters Mountain is more of an elongated rise in the land. This mountain is about 2 miles wide, but more than 10 miles long! It's more of a ridge.

Anyway, today was a drizzle, but from what I've heard tomorrow is supposed to be a downpour. That's ok, there's something about walking in the rain that I like. Perhaps it's the idea of being methodical, pushing forward despite the conditions. Or, what's more likely, it's just refreshing after all this heat!

- Scribbles (aka Ted)
7:35 p.m. 5/30/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment