Sunday 24 May 2015

Day 71 -Annapolis Rocks

So there's this thing people do on the Appalachian Trail called the "4-state challenge." In this challenge, the hiker begins the day in Virginia, hikes through West Virginia and Maryland, and ends the day in Pennsylvania. The result is a 45 mile day spent traversing 4 states!

Personally, I have no business with the 4 stater. Maryland is too darn awesome! I'm sitting at the Annapolis Rocks, after a day of views. The terrain is very amiable here, and the highlights of the day have definitely been the Rocks and the Washington Monument, a hill with a 200 year old stone tower on top. I can't imagine racing by all of it!

On top of the landscape, the people here are great! This is Memorial Day weekend, so I've been seeing hundreds of people. Day hikers, sectioners, all locals. And they're so friendly! Last night I was gifted a Mountain House dinner by a day hiker, and then some salad and bread by Dawn, a sectioner. She told me that everything I was eating- lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, celery, even the wheat in the bread- was grown on her 100 acre organic farm. Sweet deal! And last night was very pleasant sitting around a fire at the shelter chatting with everyone.And last, the trail magic!

If you measured trail magic per mile, Maryland would take the cake. In addition to the aforementioned food giveaways, I got some epic hot food. Pulled pork, potatoes, baked beans, and cole slaw. Plus snacks and sodas. Then after I crossed I-70, I hit strawberries and beer! I swear, I may not even need to resupply until Boiling Springs. So yes, it's been a swell Memorial Day weekend.

-Scribbles (aka Ted)
8:58 p.m. 5/24/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment