Wednesday 13 May 2015

Day 60 - Waynesboro

Let me start off by saying NEW SHOES. I cannot believe the difference between my old pair of trail runners and a pair fresh from the box! It's like my sore tendons and blisters don't even exist! Special thanks for sure go to my Uncle Richard, who went to REI and hooked me up with exactly what I needed: a pair of La Sportiva Ultra Raptors, size 11.5, delivered by the USPS to the Waynesboro Post Office general delivery, ETA May 13th. It all worked perfectly, and now I can hike, walk, or sit in a library in comfort.

I've been enjoying Waynesboro as much as my new kicks (well, almost). This place is a city. Compared to puny Damascus or teeny tiny Hot Springs, it may as well be Shanghai. At 25,000 people it's probably the largest city I'll be in (barring an unforeseen detour) until I return to Worcester. And it's great! Three stops in a row- Troutville, Glasgow, and here- all with free camping and showers. Gotta love it! I cleaned up at the YMCA, and my hammock is currently set up at a park near the river, which has a hiker pavilion. Walking through Wayne's World is almost like flashing back to New England. There's the old industrial section, highlighted by a six story brick shell of a building, that no doubt was once the heart of a booming economy (indeed, I just looked it up and found out that Du Pont once had a big plant here). Then there are medium density row houses for a bit, then duplexes (all at least 80 years old), and then a section of old large houses, reminiscent of the ones you might see on Richmond Ave in Worcester.

Today I've been making my way (comfortably, I might add) around the town. I got a ride in from Eric, who works at a solar panel company, and he gave me an impromptu tour of the warehouse! I then got some food at Weasie's, a diner that has come the closest to matching the food of Annie's in Worcester. And I did laundry, took a shower, set up camp. I went to the Post Office, where heaven was handed to me in the form of a shoe box. It's been a great recharge day. Later this evening I plan on going to Ming Garden, another (and more hyped up by hikers) China buffet. And then I think I'll top it off with some hockey tonight. Go Rangers!

Now, since I have the time, let's get academic for a second. After all, the LEEP Project officially began about a week ago when classes ended at Clark. When I come into towns, I've noticed the unique perspective I have as an Appalachian Trail thru-hiker. I felt this quite strongly in Glasgow. Thru-hikers are kind of like pilgrims. We are never going to stay in one place long, rather, we are always just passing through. When I "just pass through" a town like Glasgow or a city like Waynesboro, I relish the opportunity to get a snapshot, a fleeting glimpse, of life in those places. Maybe I'm watching parents converse at a Little League game, or watching Eric open the solar panel company for business. This is their reality, I'm just a guest. Observing people at "home" has made me realize the value of the "home" idea. I mean, I haven't been home in two months. I've seen it written in some trail journals that "home is where you hang your food bag," but really that's not true for me. Home is a personal place, with people and things you love and are invested in. And as much as I love hiking, it's not at the level of being "at home." Anyway, it's peculiar to see everyday life from this perspective. And dude, these new shoes are awesome.

Did I mention new shoes?
-Scribbles (aka Ted)
3:52 p.m. 5/13/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment