Monday 22 June 2015

Day 100 - Kellogg Road Bridge

Here I am at the end of a sublime zero day, hanging over the Housatonic in my hammock, and looking forward to what lies ahead. I have to say, with so many zeros, short days, and rendezvouses with friends and family, I'm getting worried that I've forgotten what it means to thru-hike! I mean, I am supposed to be roughing it, right?

Today I did the opposite. I hiked about a mile to Route 7, where my spontaneous girlfriend was waiting for me. I wholeheartedly appreciated her last minute decision to join me. We did my laundry, ate some Thai food, went to see Jurassic World in theaters, and even managed to do a little stretching in the park (and boy am I tight!). Like I said, pretty much the opposite of roughing it.

It's been strange lately with the easy days and familiar faces. I feel like I should be doing more, like I didn't get the LEEP project and blog site to go to the movies. But time and time again I'm reminded. I did walk here from Georgia, I have been sleeping in the wind, rain and cold, and yes, seeing a movie may as well be part of the experience. And dude, sitting in a big comfy chair and watching dinosaurs duke it out was pretty darn spectacular.

So I've come to terms with my current slowness. And with 4 or 5 days with Dad around the corner, I won't be doing any 30 mile days soon. But that's fine! I'm going to live it up, and when the time comes to make miles, they will be made!

-Scribbles (aka Ted)
6/22/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment