Sunday 14 June 2015

Day 91 - Hemlock Springs

My apologies for no blog posts the last few days. Two nights ago my phone zonked out on me as I was writing a fantastic post about New York City and yesterday was super busy and I didn't get to camp until 10:30 or so! I'll start with Friday...


The gyst of my post on Friday night was this. I was at West Mountain shelter, a beautiful stone shelter with a view of the Hudson River and, just barely from the humidity, New York City. The skyline was faintly visible through the haze. There was something special about seeing New York, it was a feeling I haven't had yet on this trip. I guess the Big Apple is a place that I feel I know, having been there dozens of times. Me and my dad have gone to many Yankees games since I was little, and I've been there a few times just to see the city too. I've gone for several cross-borough walks. It's a place that I consider myself familiar with. And there it was, two nights ago, on the horizon! After being in unknown National Forests (the Chattahoochee, the Nantahala, what?) and nameless towns (Glasgow still has a special place in my heart), I was finally looking at a place that rings a bell. Anyway, it felt good to see the city.


Friday itself was another tough one. Hot, humid, gnatty, and even more rock climbing. I gotta say, I do enjoy the rock climbing. One spot in Harriman State Park was called the "Lemon Squeezer." It was a narrow corridor of rock where I was forced to take off my backpack and hold it in front of me just to fit. Lemon squeezer indeed! Right after that was a ledge so steep that another trail marked "Easy Route" was made around it. As if I was going to go the easy way! I surveyed the challenge ahead of me and decided my best bet was to throw my poles and pack on top of the ledge and then try my luck at climbing. I made it, but only with the help of a well-placed root.


Now on to yesterday. It was simply like none other. There are really good days on the trail, and then there are days when you get to see family. It was awesome. I did a quick 5 miles in the morning to Bear Mountain, and when I got there, New York was as clear as day. It was a fabulous view! I ended up beating my family to the summit, but at 11:30 there was Uncle Phil, Aunt Ellen, Nick and Eva (cousins), and Mom! What a reunion! I haden't seen anyone from home for three months, when I left. We hung out at the top of the mountain, which is pretty well organized with a tower, bathrooms, and a road to the top. We shared stories from the last 3 months, played setback, and ate food. Man, I got hooked up. Sandwiches, salad, fruit, snacks, cookies, beer. It was great to eat some home cooking!

-Scribbles (aka Ted)
7:58 a.m. 6/14/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment