Monday 8 June 2015

Day 85 - Stokes State Forest

It's been a busy but slow couple of days on the trail. New Jersey has been great! The rocks did not end at the Delaware River, but they're not as bad as they were and there's some really cool terrain around here. I had no idea New Jersey was so pretty.

Yesterday I hiked past Sunfish Pond and climbed Kittatinny Mountain. A sign declared Sunfish Pond one of the "seven natural wonders of New Jersey," something I found humorous. But it was pretty cool. It's a glacial lake, and it was up at about 1200 feet. The water was super clear. I also saw a second rattlesnake near the lake, always a scary experience.

This morning I woke up to rain, and perhaps due to laziness or maybe as a residual effect from Friday's 30 mile day, I stayed in my hammock until 10! It was so relaxing to take my time waking up. When I finally did get moving, I was unexpectedly greeted by the sun! Today's forcast was for rain all day, but it held off until about 7, when I was all set up for the night.

So it's raining now, and pretty hard too. There's actually a tornado warning, but no tornados yet (I hope none!). Home seems closer than ever. My mom will be meeting me this Saturday, when I reach Bear Mountain and the Hudson River. I can't wait! But I have a bit of hiking to do before then. For now, I'll listen to the rain and hopefully get a good, dry night of sleep!

-Scribbles (aka Ted)
8:54 p.m. 6/8/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment