Wednesday 3 June 2015

Day 80 - Rocking Pennsylvania

OK, so have you ever done something for an absolutely atrocious amount of time? Something simple, mind-numbing, something that makes you just succumb to it, like a war of attrition. For example, I used to do this with Google Earth. I'd study it for like 6 hours, then finally pull myself away from the computer, wild-eyed and wondering how I could waste so much time like. I remember going to bed after these episodes, closing my eyes, and seeing digital mountains, roads, and cities flash across my eyelids.

Well, here I am again. The rocks of Pennsylvania have crushed me. One mile of rocks, no big deal. Two miles, your feet get kind of sore and you feel thankful for the less rocky portions. Four miles, and you begin to forget what smooth trail is like. And at ten-plus miles, you enter a state of semi-consciousness, a sort of daze, as you stumble over boulders and smash your feet against even the tiniest stones.

Phew, that got out of hand! But it's true, hiking over millions of sideways rocks is much different than hiking on flat ground. I mean, you can't look around. You have to stare at your feet, with occasional glances up at the trail ahead.Even with the rocks, however, today was a good one. The weather cooperated, and there were some well deserved views. But the rocks man, wow!

Tomorrow promises to be the crescendo of rockery; the Lehigh Gap. I'll hit it toward the end of the day. From what I hear it's incredibly steep. I can't wait!

-Scribbles (aka Ted)
8:05 p.m. 6/3/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment