Thursday 11 June 2015

Day 88 - Arden Mountain

Hello from a hungry hiker on a hot and humid day in New York! That's right, a new state already! Despite the interstate accomplishment, it was rough today; 90 degrees and the air was thick. I did 19 miles, but it felt like 25. I was so tired when I got to camp at 5, it was all I could do to just set up camp and take a load off. Now, laying in my hammock, I'm still sweating!

New York is tough, not just because of the weather. The hills are more like ledges, and I found myself bouldering or scrambling up a bunch of rocks for much of the day. Unlike those nasty rocks in Pennsylvania, however, at least these were engaging and not monotonous, and I hit some pretty good views. One ascent at the end of the day just about did me in. It was straight the heck up! I had to lift my feet way high to get from rock to rock- like climbing a staircase with 3 foot steps. I had one step where my backpack almost pulled me back if it wasn't for a little rock I used to gain leverage. It was nuts! It seems like down south the mountains were bigger, but less intense, and here the mountains are super steep, but smaller. I'll take these any day... they're more fun!

I'm hoping for a little cooler weather tomorrow, but at least I only have a short distance to cover. I plan on ending at West Mountain shelter, which allegedly is complete with a view of New York City!! And then Bear Mountain on Saturday. Should be fun!

- Scribbles (aka Ted)
6:47 p.m. 6/11/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment