Sunday 7 June 2015

Day 84 - Delaware Water Gap

I'm about to leave Delaware Water Gap, cross the Delaware River, and enter New Jersey.

Pennsylvania was a tough state, no doubt. But it wasn't all bad, and my day here in DWG is proof of that!

I got here early yesterday, and went right to the hostel, the Church of the Mountain, which is the longest continuously operating hostel on the trail. It's a great place, with just what a hiker needs: a bed, water, and a place to chill with other hikers.The group of guys I'm with right now is great company. There's Tate, who I've been on and off hiking with, Forrest, who Tate's been hiking with more, Superman, who I did Springer with, his friend Heavyweight, Blueberry, Ginga T, Green Tortuga...the list goes on. I realize that it's impossible to describe them all! It's been great to hang out and spend time with people who are becoming real friends.

Delaware Water Gap is also a pretty funky town, complete with a diner that tells me I have entered the Northeast, a country bakery with eclairs the size of my head, and a Haitian Restaurant. I like it here a lot.

But I'm all rested up, and like any place along the trail, I'm merely passing through. Today it's on to New Jersey!

-Scribbles (aka Ted)
9:28 a.m. 6/7/2015

1 comment:

  1. Hey man,

    It has been great reading your blog. I'm from PA so whenever any hiker comes to it, I cringe as they shoot off expletives or curse my State (Commonwealth, actually) and wish the trail had avoided it entirely. So I deeply appreciate your non-hate of my great state. While I understand the complaints, and many are valid, there are some things to love about "Rocksylvania". Look at it this way, we are just beating up your feet so you are used to it when you hit it up north! Again, thanks for the great blog from a Pennsylvanian.

    J

    ReplyDelete