Sunday 21 June 2015

Day 97 - Riga Shelter

It sounds like there may have bee some technical difficulties with my post yesterday, but one of the things I talked about was the joy of seeing people from home. Having friends and family come out to support me has been such a motivator since Bear Mountain, when my mom and aunt and uncles and cousins first joined me for a day. This past Wednesday and Thursday was happily spent off the trail with my girlfriend, and boy was that awesome. We hung out around Kent and I did as little physical movement as possible, getting plenty of sleep and eating tons of food. As great as it was to take a real zero day, the best part of course was seeing Sarah, who I hadn't seen since January when she left for Seville!

Getting back on the trail yesterday was a bit tough, but I could feel the bodily difference. My legs felt amazing after 50+ hours of not hiking. I hiked 21 miles yesterday, but I may as well have been sitting on a couch. That's literally what my legs felt like. My muscles must have appreciated the rest.

Today it was my mom and friends from Newington who joined me in Falls Village. My mom hiked with us from Falls Village to Salisbury, and my friends continued with me up to Riga shelter, where we're camped tonight.
We had a good 12 mile hike up here. The weather was great until about 3 in the afternoon, when it started to pour. Luckily the worst of the rain hit as we explored Salisbury, so we were under cover. But we got wet on the last stretch up to the shelter. At the shelter we mad dinner and played cards, and now the rain seems to be picking up again. It could be a wet night, and a wet day tomorrow!

Today was also the first time I've done any substantial miles with people from home. What a trip that's been! I feel like I'm watching the past me in my friends. Maybe it's a funky tree, or a field of ferns, or a mountain view. Whatever, there are so many things that my buddies were struck by that I was just kinda like...eh. I've seen all types of trees, and ferns, and views. I'm sort of numb to it all. Which is really too bad in a way! But it was very refreshing to see their excitement.

Tomorrow it's on to Bear Mountain and Massachusetts. It looks like rain, which is unfortunate because I've heard that some of the terrain on Bear Mountain and Mount Everett is crazy. Crazy is tough. Crazy and wet is dangerous. We're going to have to be super careful tomorrow. 

- Scribbles (aka Ted)
8:43 p.m. 6/20/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment