Tuesday 2 June 2015

Day 79 - Port Clinton

I'm back! The last two days have been very hard. The weather went from hot and humid, with a drizzle yesterday to cold and very rainy today. I walked 18 miles in steady rain, which sometimes picked up to a downpour. But I've dealt with rain!

What I haven't dealt with is rocks. Not Pennsylvania rocks, anyway. Sure, in North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, there were rocks. But not 18 miles worth! The rocks here never end, and none of them are nice and flat. They all slant at an angle that's just perfect for your foot to slide around in your wet shoe. From what I've heard, I haven't even seen the worst of it yet. That's coming after Port Clinton, where I'm currently camped.

The trail was also pretty poor today. Some sections had awful drainage, and at one point I was walking through six inches of water (I'm not kidding!). At other points, the underbrush and trees covered the trail so densely that it was almost impossible to see the rocks jutting up underneath. It all made for slow, wet, and painful going.So today was hard.

But the end is in sight. I just resupplied in town, and I have 4 days of food. That's enough to get me to Delaware Water Gap, at the New Jersey border. And the weather promises to improve. Tomorrow looks not half bad. Perhaps it will be sunny and not hot, or at least cloudy and not raining! But man, today was hard.

-Scribbles (aka Ted)
7:51 p.m. 6/2/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment