Monday 29 June 2015

Day 106 - MA/VT Border

At one point on this hike, I think it was in Pennsylvania, I was worried that I didn't have enough to write in my updates. After today, it's clear to me that it wasn't me becoming blind to little things I picked up in Tennessee or Virginia. Rather, I think that the southern states were just much more difficult! And today was like the Roan Highlands all over again.

Now, I don't mean to say that Pennsylvania through Massachusetts was easy. Those states certainly had their challenges! But thinking back to snow at the NOC, or sideways rain on Big Hump Mountain, or even 30 degree mornings in southern Virginia, there was just a different level of challenge then. And it wasn't just the physical challenge. I was far from home, and a long way away from seeing family. It was just a different world.

Today brought me back to that. With a flash flood and wind advisory in effect, I decided to make the climb up 3500 foot Mount Greylock. It felt like a bad idea when I was up at the top, but lying in my hammock now, I don't think I've been this tired since Virginia. What a great day.First off, it was windy. So windy! Second, it was cold, probably in the low 50s up on top of the mountain. And third, I was walking through a variation of rain, drizzle, mist, and tree pee. So it was wet! And the mud! I had some good old fashioned shin deep puddles, but coupled with those was a new phenomenon: mud that enveloped my entire foot, shoe and all! All this while climbing the ...mountain since Chestnut Knob waaaaaay back in Virginia. To put it simply, it was hard.

But at the end of the day, I feel great. I'm going to sleep like a bambino tonight and feel reassured that I can tackle inclement weather and difficult terrain. And it's nice to take a break from the laid-back hiking I've been doing for a real challenge. It really brings me back...


-Scribbles (aka Ted)
9:01 p.m. 6/28/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment