Monday 29 June 2015

Day 106 - St. Mary's church, Cheshire

After a great day for hiking yesterday- cool and dry- the rain is back. Luckily, I found refuge at the church hostel here in Cheshire. But man, it poured all night and I just know that I am in for some mud these next few days.

Yesterday was quick, only 12 miles. I skipped through Dalton and made it to Cheshire. In Dalton I met Tom, a real trail angel. He allows hikers to camp in his yard, shuttles people around, and he even invited me into his home for breakfast yesterday! I also enjoyed Dalton because it was the first place I've reached on the trail that I recognize as having been before. Yes, I once stopped for gas at the Cumby's right off the trail! It was last summer with my friend Hector. We were on our way to the Hoosac Tunnel in North Adams. I also crossed MA Route 9, the same road that you might recognize as Park Ave in Worcester! So it was very nice to see some reminders of home.

Cheshire is a cute town just south of Mount Greylock. I'm going to go to mass at St. Mary's today, and avoid climbing muddy Greylock for as long as possible. But it will happen soon, and before you know it, it'll be on to Vermont!


-Scribbles (aka Ted)
8:32 a.m. 6/28/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment