Monday 22 June 2015

Day 99 - Massachusetts!

Greetings from Massachusetts! Today was a good one. It was tough, wet, buggy, steep, and lots of fun. I hiked 18 miles to Route 7, just south of Great Barrington. Tomorrow will be a nero as I await my dad to join me Tuesday. I'm pumped! But about today...

Me and my buddies woke up this morning to torrential downpour, as it had done most of the night. I estimate we got a good 2 inches of rain up here in the CT/MA/NY tri-state region! 

Luckily, it all fell overnight and early morning. We were hiking in light rain by 9:30. The way I estimated our rainfall total was by the amount of water gushing down the trail and pooling along flat stretches. This morning going over Bear Mountain, we were confronted with a real torrent! And on the way down (which is super steep), it honestly felt like we were climbing down a waterfall at some points. We did it, but it took lots of careful steps and assistance from my trekking poles (and trees!).

After Bear Mountain was Sages Ravine. The sun came out and the mountain stream was just gorgeous as we hiked along side. Also, the stream was very high. At the point where we were to cross, we were greeted by no bridge, no stepping stones, nothing but a 25 foot wide waterway! The only way to cross was to ford it. We loved fording the river (my first one yet!), and since we were already pretty well soaked, no one minded the knee-deep water. 

Once the wade was done, we had entered Massachusetts! Being back in the Commonwealth is nice for sure, but what's nicer is knowing I now have completed 10 states and I have 4 to go! The first Bay State challenge was Race Mountain, which afforded some really great views. I don't mean to put my home state down, but the views from the first mountain in Mass. were better than any in CT! After Race, my buddies unfortunately had to head out. I was reminded that yes, most people have jobs 5 days a week! It was great having them along, especially for some of the wettest miles since Port Clinton! Seriously, the top three wettest places for me have to be Roan Highlands, Port Clinton, and Bear Mountain! Thanks for surviving with me guys!

After my friends left, I did another 10 miles to my current location, amid many more puddles. Honestly most of today was spent slogging through water that varied from a half to 5 or 6 inches deep! But what really capped the day was the mosquitos. I'm currently surrounded by dozens of them. Thank goodness for my bug-netted hammock! It's like a cloud surrounding me.

Tomorrow I'm heading into Great Barrington, where I'll dry off, do laundry, and maybe even catch a movie in the theater! I'm looking forward to relaxing after a tough day today.


-Scribbles (aka Ted)
6:06 a.m. 6/21/2015

1 comment:

  1. Oh Bear Mountain!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skae1GnJDiA

    ReplyDelete